The Troopers report that Frank Alto of Soldotna hit the lower left part of a female pedestrian in his 2001 Ford Taurus – and fled the scene. He was then arrested. Mr. Alto now sits in Wildwood, without bail. He is charged with Assault III and Leaving the Scene of an accident.
This note is written to the female victim. Take these steps:
1. Get medical care. Go to the doctor. Do as you are told and heal up. The best revenge is living well;
2. File a claim against whatever automobile insurer covers Mr. Alto. DO NOT give a recorded statement to anybody;
3. File a claim against YOUR OWN automobile insurer, and the insurance companies covering all people, related by blood and/or marriage, living in your household when the incident occurred. All this insurance covers you. Don't let any insurance company tell you otherwise;
4. When you talk to a personal injury attorney – and you should do so quickly – make sure he/she understands AS 09.60.070, Anderson v. Lamb and AS 09.17.020. These are critical laws for your claims; and
5. You only have two years to get moving – to file a lawsuit or settle your claims. This is a VERY important deadline. Don't blow it by waiting too long.
I hope you heal up well and don't need surgery. I also hope Mr. Alto spends a long, long time in jail for this one. There is no excuse for hit-and-run. We are all supposed to be responsible and accountable for our actions.