The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

More and more crashes are occurring on the Parks Highway. Most seem to arise because a driver crosses the center-line. Here is the related law. Use it whenever an insurance adjuster suggests that it is OK to cross the center-line:

1. 3 AAC 02.050. Driving on right side of roadway – exceptions and special situations

(a) Upon a roadway of sufficient width, a vehicle must be driven upon the right half of the roadway….

2. 13 AAC 02.085. Driving on roadways laned for traffic

(a) A vehicle must be driven as nearly as practicable within a single lane, and may not be moved from that lane until the driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with safety.

3. 13 AAC 02.095. Use of divided and controlled-access highways – restrictions

(a) When a highway has been divided into two or more roadways by an intervening space, physical barrier, or clearly indicated dividing section constructed to impede vehicular traffic, every vehicle must be driven on the right-hand roadway unless directed or permitted to use another roadway by an official traffic-control device, police officer, fireman or authorized flagman. No vehicle may be driven over, across, or within the dividing space, barrier, or section, except through an opening or at an established crossover or intersection, unless specifically directed to do so by state or local authority.

4. 13 AAC 02.275. Basic rule and maximum limits

(a) No person may drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent considering the traffic, roadway, and weather conditions.

Also, families / passengers of those who cross the center-line should be aware that the driver’s insurance COVERS YOU. Just because your husband / boyfriend was driving – and made a mistake – does not exempt you from his auto insurance coverage. Be 100% sure to contact your insurer and file your claim. That is what the insurance company was paid to provide.

Remember also that if the driver of the vehicle you occupied crossed the center-line, you are entitled to two claims: (1) a liability claim against the driver’s insurance; and (2) an Underinsured Motorist (UIM) claim against the driver’s insurance. File BOTH claims. Be sure to get UIM permission before you take liability money – or contact an attorney to help you. This is critical. Also, keep you eye on the Statute of Limitations for such claims. It is normally two years for adult in Alaska.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest